Since joining The Black Label – YG’s affiliated record label, Somi’s “hybrid rose” career has grown dramatically. She recklessly debuted as a solo artist and quickly released a series of hits that proved her talent with the support of Teddy and YG’s resources. However, like BLACKPINK seniors, Somi’s comeback dripped and didn’t have too many songs. Somi is the 4th generation female star with the largest number of advertising contracts at the moment, but her music activities have caused controversy with the company and the artist herself is “wasting talent”.
Somi has a beautiful and charming “hybrid” appearance. The skill set is formed from Produce 101 and used to be the center of IOI, allowing Somi to promote solo confidently. Orienting her image in highteen, luxurious and aristocratic style in MVs, Somi is expected to be a new generation solo female star who perfects both music and fashion. Since officially debuting solo with Birthdayseries of products then such as What You Waiting For, Dumb Dumb, XOXO,… All received good response. Somi’s biggest regret is that she doesn’t have many musical activities.
Somi’s chic look contributes to the highteen trend during Dumb Dumb’s promotions
For the whole of 2022, Somi did not return with a single song. The only music-related activity was her participation as an MC at MAMA, causing a fever on social media with her outstanding appearance and aura. From XOXO At the end of 2021, fans have been waiting too long for Somi’s new music. Many topics discussed in Korea are confusing with the promotion strategy of this multi-talented girl.
Knet gave mixed opinions and questions about Somi’s schedule for nearly 2 years without a comeback. People are concerned that Somi will lose heat if she is absent for too long because she does not have a strong fandom and media effects like BLACKPINK. Somi currently often appears in advertising projects and TikTok clips with other celebs, there is still no sign of returning with music products.
Besides, most fans still think that Somi is doing her job well. She “won big” with a series of lucrative advertising contracts, along with Jennie is the female idol with the most ads in 2022. Although she doesn’t release much music, Somi still popularizes the national image and has a stable income. As a solo artist, Somi is not bound to the same schedule as when she is in a group. The Black Label is also a record label, emphasizing the spirit of artist freedom and perhaps not orienting Somi like other entertainment companies. When the time is right, music completes Somi and Teddy certainly plans to return.
Some comments from Knet:
– But Jeon Somi is funny. Seeing that Jeon Somi only shoots TikTok or commercials, there are not many promotional activities in Korea. If her career is as solid as BLACKPINK’s, don’t say it, over here… Dumb Dumb is so hot that when the full album is released, I can’t wait to flop… I wonder what she did in 2 years without promoting.
– XOXO is fine, it’s good, it’s not a flop like people say. Her recognition level is so high!
– Jeon Somi has a lot of commercials. Advertising income goes without saying. While writing this article, Jeon Somi made a lot of money.
– Suddenly, the bash song Jeon Somi came out of nowhere. Jeon Somi lives a hundred times more brilliant life than the person in the corner of the room writing this article.
-The Black Label isn’t exactly an entertainment company so Somi can do whatever she wants. When there is music, the right time, it will be released, why be in a hurry.
– Now I just treat Somi like a celeb.
– But isn’t it a waste of talent like Somi?