Mason Greenwood was first arrested in January last year when Greater Manchester police received allegations that the striker had intentionally raped, assaulted and coerced control of a young woman. After that, the English striker had to appear in court to answer questions related to the case.
Mason Greenwood when he appeared in court in November 2022 (Image: Getty)
After more than a year, until today (February 2, 2023), the United Kingdom Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed, they had dropped all charges against Greenwood and the player born in 2001 was declared innocent.
A statement from Greater Manchester Police said: “Given the media interest in this case, we have an obligation to share the news that the 21-year-old young man, who has been arrested and charged with a crime in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings regarding the charges.
A CPS spokesperson said: “In this case, key witnesses withdrew and new documents were released that resulted in the inability to convict.”
Greenwood can completely return to play for MU in the future (Image: Reuters)
For more than a year, this incident caused Greenwood’s career to falter. MU suspended the activities of this striker indefinitely. The striker born in 2001 also lost many sponsorship contracts and was ostracized by the public.
However, MU still did not cut the contract with Greenwood and in the official registration list on the team’s homepage, Greenwood still kept the number 11. Now after being declared innocent, Greenwood completely has could return to play for MU in the near future.