According to the news agency YonhapThe JCS did not provide further details, including whether the rocket believed to be carrying a military satellite separated successfully, whether the satellite was placed in orbit, and whether the launch occurred. From where?
The launch of the military reconnaissance satellite came ahead of a previously announced deadline by Pyongyang. Japan said North Korea has informed the country of launching a satellite-carrying ballistic missile between November 22 and December 1.
According to the Japanese Coast Guard, on November 21, North Korea said it would launch the above missile in the direction of the Yellow Sea and the East China Sea.
North Korea’s announcement was immediately condemned by Japanese Prime Minister Kishida Fumio. He confirmed that Japan’s defense system, including the Aegis system and PAC-3 missiles, is ready for any unexpected situation.
As soon as North Korea made the announcement, nuclear envoys from the US, Japan and South Korea held a three-way phone call regarding North Korea’s plans to launch military satellites.
The Cholima-1 rocket was launched on May 31 from North Korea’s Cholsan district. Photo: KCNA
The launch on November 21 came hours after the US aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson arrived at the naval base in the city of Busan, 320 km southeast of Seoul.
theo YonhapThe Nov. 21 launch was the third time this year that North Korea has attempted to put a spy satellite into orbit.
At dawn on August 24, North Korea launched a Chollima-1 rocket carrying the Malligyong-1 spy satellite, but failed. The reason for this was a problem with the third stage of the booster rocket.
Earlier in late May, North Korea had launched a spy satellite for the first time but was unsuccessful. During a meeting in June attended by leader Kim Jong-un, North Korea described it as the most serious weakness in the first half of 2023 and cannot be ignored.
South Korea has warned North Korea not to conduct another launch. Any use of ballistic missile technology would be a violation of UN resolutions.
Also on November 21, the South Korean Presidential Office said the country could suspend the inter-Korean agreement if a serious security problem arose.