39 miners are trapped under a metal mine in eastern Canada after an incident that blocked their entrance 24 hours earlier.
Vale, which owns the Totten mine in the Canadian province of Ontario, said no workers were injured in the September 26 incident and that they had been provided with food and water. “Rescue crews have reached the miners and are taking them up via a secondary ladder system,” Vale said. This company hopes to free all miners on the evening of September 27 (the morning of September 28, Hanoi time).
Danica Pagnutti, a spokeswoman for Vale, said there was no one at the main entrance when a component of heavy equipment collided with the main transit system’s elevator.
“We know the rescue will take time and are very relieved to hear that the miners were not injured,” Ontario provincial governor Doug Ford tweeted.
All operations at the Totten mine in Sudbury, Ontario, were suspended from September 27, and Vale said it would assess the situation before resuming production. The Totten mine closed in 1972, but Vale reopened in 2014. About 3,600 tons of nickel were extracted from the Totten mine in the first six months of this year.
Nguyen Tien (Follow AFP)