Recently, public opinion is stirring because of the case of 10 10th grade students at a high school in Quang Ninh who tested positive for drugs after eating a “strange” candy.
Specifically, it happened at Hoanh Bo High School, Ha Long, Quang Ninh. The school’s principal – Ms. Nguyen Thi Dinh – said that 10 students showed signs of poisoning, after eating a blue candy package with foreign words printed at a cafe in the area. Rapid test results showed that 5 children were positive for drugs (THC – marijuana).
Pack of “strange” candy used by students in Quang Ninh
Through research, this Nerds & Rope-branded candy once caused a riot in the US and was put on the list of dangerous warnings by the police, because it was too similar to a candy for children.
Notice on the Facebook page of the Tyler County (USA) police department 2 years ago, roughly translated as follows:
The Tyler County Sheriff’s Department announced that we have discovered a “candy imitation” product containing THC – the chemical found in marijuana. This product is made to resemble a popular candy on the market (Nerds Rope), but contains 400mg of cannabis – 35% more than a typical dose of cannabis. This dose is enough to be dangerous for children if ingested.
We want parents to be more vigilant. Check the candy bar again before giving it to children.
In fact, it is not unheard of for children to be poisoned after eating this candy. At Christmas 2020, a 3-year-old girl in New Jersey was hospitalized after eating a packet of this type of candy – meaning she swallowed 400mg of THC in her stomach.
400mg is a huge dose of THC. Most adults only need 20mg to feel lightheaded, lack of alertness. At the time of admission, the child was in a coma and was “almost unresponsive”. Although fortunately recovered, the mother was later even prosecuted for endangering children.