The Chief of the General Staff of the Ukrainian Army Zaluzhnyy claimed responsibility for a series of raids on Russian bases on the Crimean peninsula.
The Chiefs of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Valeriy Zaluzhny and Mykhailo Zabrodskyi today shared a joint article in the state news agency Ukrinform, referring to the “successful efforts of the Ukrainian armed forces to turn hostile acts of enemy to Crimea.”
“We are talking about a series of successful rocket attacks against the enemy’s Crimean airbases, first of all, the Saki base,” the article reads.
The caption in the article makes it clear that the attack on the Saki base that Mr. Zaluzhny mentioned was the event that took place on August 9, which rendered 10 Russian fighter jets unusable.
Russia has not commented on the information.
Ukraine had previously hinted that it was behind the attacks on Crimea, when a senior official said the Russian airbase explosions were the work of Ukrainians responsible for disrupting the enemy.
The situation in Crimea has recently become tense when Ukraine repeatedly vowed to regain the peninsula annexed to Russia in 2014. Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) last month announced that it had eliminated “Islamic terrorist groups” church” of six in Crimea after a series of explosions on the peninsula.
Ukraine considers Crimea “occupied territory” and vows to regain it “by any means necessary. The US-led NATO alliance also considers Crimea to be Ukrainian territory “illegally annexed” ” and asked Moscow to return it to Kiev. A US official said last month that the country supported Ukraine in attacking targets in Crimea.
Ngoc Anh (Theo Reuters)